omgitshim

Affiliate TPE Opportunity

Posted (edited)

Good morning, EFL!

This morning we have a TPE Opportunity that will be the first of (hopefully) many more initiatives cross-league between the SBA, VHL, and EFL.

Starting Today, March 25, and running through Sunday, March 31, you may complete the following Writing Prompt below for 2 uncapped TPE!

Prompt: Write 150 words or more about a feature in the VHL or SBA that you would like to see the EFL adopt. This can be on the forums, within the league itself, within the EFL Manager - any feature or mechanic that one of the other two leagues have that the EFL does not. A short podcast would also suffice.

For the graphics guys, you may create a graphic of a player from either the VHL or SBA to claim this.

In addition, by completing this prompt - you may ALSO claim this 2 TPE in the VHL and SBA. These leagues will also be posting their own Affiliate PT prompts in this initiative - you may only claim the 2TPE once per league. You may not claim the 2TPE from our prompt and the 2TPE from the VHL prompt. 

Any questions please leave below, and we will be happy to answer them. Looking forward to seeing some of the answers!

Edited by omgitshim
  • Like 1

I'm not sure active in either league so there really isn't a lot I can add as to what they have that EFL doesn't, but I suppose one thing that could be better with the EFL manager is the dashboard.  Looking over at SBA's player management system, their dashboard at least gives you some useful information about things you haven't have/haven't posted as well as if you've submitted for the current update window or not, whereas ours only gives you a timer and that's basically it.  The only other thing I can see besides that (and this is most likely slated for future development) is that SBA's also ties in the player store.  If those couple of things were added/made better I think overall our manager tool would be very complete and well done and aside from that I can't really think of anything else from those two leagues that I would want to be included (mostly because I'm not really too active in either).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Can I use the same thing here that I used in SBA? @omgitshim

Like can i link the SBA thing

Edited by Snussu

EFL will always be my primary sim league, but what I love about the SBA is the many different builds you can create your player and still be successful. Speed is, by far, the most important attribute in the EFL, and that does not allow for much distinction between players. Sure, there are different archetypes, but they don't really matter. The archetypes without the speed cap are archetypes new players are steered toward, and that has the highest upside. I'd like to be able to think that there were more build options for people here, but it's just not what it is. And, yes, I realize this is an impossible task. It would, likely, require us to change the sim we use. It would require us to add attributes. From a build perspective, the SBA just seems more realistic. There are actually successful 3-and-D players, stretch 4s, etc. You don't need just one attribute to make things happen. There are real-life zone coverage CBs that see success. If you choose zone coverage as an archetype in the EFL you are limited by your speed cap.

Hey so I've done this on SBA do i just link to that post for the 2 TPE? 

One thing i'd like to see the EFL improve on as a whole is graphics. I think the VHL and SBA have guys doing great graphics and while we have some good ones here too, I think we can certainly up that level of graphical ability. One way that I think we do this is by providing more resources for those who are new to graphics, or by potentially doing a graphics tournament where you team up with someone to collaborate on a graphic that then competes against other teams. This would be a good opportunity for some newer graphics makers to look at that of which an experienced graphic maker does with a design, and give them the opportunity to learn and take away experience from the person with more ability. This is how I learned a lot back in the VFL and in other forums I was on, and think it's something that could really benefit some of our users here. 

• Like 1

I played many other types of sim leagues before I found the VHL and EFL. Most of them were team control games as opposed to player control. I found the EFL through the VHL and the EFL has slowly started to become my preferred league. 

One feature of the VHL that I would like to see the EFL adopt is more of the features the VHL portal has. EFL manager has made updating much easier, but the part I'd focus on is more of the individual player statistics, including season and career stats. 

Going on the index works to get a rough idea at what my players are doing, but for a stats nerd like myself, it would be fun to see more in depth what is happening in games. Career stats would help teams compare players before the draft and in free agency too. 

Receivers could see their catches compared to their drops. Defensive backs could see how many catches they allow, passes defended etc.

Possibly it could be implemented into the EFL manager in time, but other than that, I can't think of anything else I'd change

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bengals1fan said:

One thing i'd like to see the EFL improve on as a whole is graphics. I think the VHL and SBA have guys doing great graphics and while we have some good ones here too, I think we can certainly up that level of graphical ability. One way that I think we do this is by providing more resources for those who are new to graphics, or by potentially doing a graphics tournament where you team up with someone to collaborate on a graphic that then competes against other teams. This would be a good opportunity for some newer graphics makers to look at that of which an experienced graphic maker does with a design, and give them the opportunity to learn and take away experience from the person with more ability. This is how I learned a lot back in the VFL and in other forums I was on, and think it's something that could really benefit some of our users here. 

Be my mentor. I have some ideas in my head that I just can't produce...

25 minutes ago, Abaddon said:

Hey so I've done this on SBA do i just link to that post for the 2 TPE? 

Yes, as long as you do the prompt in one of the three leagues you can link to it in the others for credit (though we would all appreciate if you have any feedback to give to the other leagues as well).

I really like the contract system in the VHL. The way it's automated through their manager feels really cool, and it saves everyone a lot of work in terms of making posts. Most people never bother "accepting" their scholarships on the signing thread anyway, so this could be a way to make that a smoother process. I also like how easy their index is to navigate for tracking career stats and that kind of thing. It's built right into the manager and its relatively intuitive and easy to use. Might also solve the problem of our sim "retiring" players and losing track of them in the index, and would let people see drops, fumbles, and other "hidden" stats, rather than having to ask the simmers for them. In a perfect world, I also agree with the build diversity issues, especially for QBs and RBs, but that's not really within our capacity to fix at this time. 

• Like 1

I do think that the lottery system in the VHL and SBA improves the league and should be considered. It punishes teams from straight tanking as there's no benefit between being the last team or the 3rd to last, to say something, and it also adds another day where we have something to look for instead of just pure off-season boredom. Maybe all 4 teams that don't qualify for the playoffs could share odds, so every team can either be in playoffs or have a decent chance at the lottery.

I also like from VHL that the difference between a minimum contract and a max contract is higher. In EFL, with our longer careers, you can get a max contract while also being your minimum. I think a higher difference could be a nice feature and allow a bit more strategy to economic side of building a team, while also adding new narratives. Maybe even adding a 4th season to the contracts. A 3 year/7million contract is a statement, but a 4/9 or 4/10 makes it harder for you to trade the player if he doesn't pan out and riskier in the long run, or it can be a smart decision and lock an MVP for your team during their prime.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2019 at 5:08 PM, MMFLEX said:

Be my mentor. I have some ideas in my head that I just can't produce...

Anything you need reach out man!

• Thanks 1

As a SBA guy it is easy for me to go to another sim league and point out everything that could be changed or improved as I am obviously biased. I was in the EFL in Season One and the league does many things right, and I will probably spend most my time talking about EFL Manager which was a tremendous step in the right direction for the league. The dashboard is extremely bland, it should be made to be useful and informative for the user. Have you updated player x this week? Have you done tasks A/B/C? Additionally, I believe that EFL Manager should start to incorporate predictions soon, it makes it extremely easy to tally up points and very accurate as to how many points one should receive. Finally, the dashboard should have its own database rather than redirecting you to the index. From what I know, the sim used for the EFL is more data friendly than FBB thus making it possible to fully export these and incorporate them into the Manager. 

• Like 1

There are a few features that the SBA has on SBA Online that I would love to see the EFL incorporate into EFL Manager at some point. One of these features is team pages. On SBA Online, there is a page for each team that allows you to see the players on their roster, awards won by their players in the past, and their history (including their past championships, their overall record, their records against different opponents, and their records by season). I'd like to see an easier way to view each team's roster with a single click rather than having to filter or sort through the player table. It would also be cool to have a centralized place to view a team's history rather than having to look back at past seasons and also to keep track of their overall records and their records against different opponents. I also like some of the tools offered on SBA Online - they have a TPE Planner and a Regression Calculator. These tools are helpful for planning out players and would be helpful to have on the EFL as well. I like what the EFL Manager has so far and hope to see it continue to expand and hopefully incorporate some of the features from SBA Online.

• Like 1

Honestly there are aspects of all three that could stand to be applied by the others.

EFL in particular could really benefit from the live twitch draft presentations. They're exciting, they get players involved and hyped, and they work as great recruiting tools at times. I've seen players accidentally find a league that had live drafts and sign up. When you have that kind of interactivity people flock to it. People like seeing their name written down. They fucking LOVE hearing it called out. Inevitably they're also hearing whoever is hosting talk about what kind of player they are and what kind of pick this is and all that really just adds layers to what people are getting from the experience.

Aside from that, SBA's NCAA manages to get it's teams (and everyone else) an updated file at the end of every sim throughout the season without giving away strategies. With much larger sets of teams to work with, no less. I see no reason why EFL can't also do this. A nice side benefit of this would be making a much broader array of stats available regularly, as we all know the index the sim provides is not great. This would be a possible huge boon to article writing as well. This is not difficult to do in DDSPF16 (one of the very few things that isn't actually) and could be of great interest to many people.

So I don't actually entirely know why this is happening and whether rules are actually restricting it here, but I've noticed that the only people submitting graphics here are the same 5-10 people or whatever. In the VHL at least, I feel (anecdotally, admittedly) that a lot more new members try their hand at making graphics, even if they have no graphic design background or even access to Photoshop. I feel like the reasons behind this is twofold: 1. everyone gets 6 if they pass a baseline level of effort, either it's 6 or 0 (same as the SBA as well), but as I understand, the EFL has this as well, and 2. that the grading is based on the input, not the output. This second point is really important to me. There's a big emphasis for updaters based on deciphering the amount of effort someone put into a graphic instead of just examining how the final product works. What this does is encourages new members to try their hand at making graphics, even if they aren't very good at it.

181 Words

I think all the leagues are all taking a great step forward lately with the new VHL portal, the new SBA Online, and the new EFL Manager, it is great to see all the work that has been going into the leagues. I think the biggest step in getting the EFL in line with them is using the manager to handle a lot of things that are used in SBAO and the VHL Portal. This includes things such as contracts and trades adapted from VHL. It is so much easier to go and accept a contract in the VHL Portal and have it automatically be added to team finances. As a player it is great and as a GM it is very nice to not have to worry about posting finances and such and it also gives more room for offering more than minimum contracts and stuff with ease. The other I think that would be great is the ability to see the updates your players are making just like SBAO has where a GM or AD can see that the players are using TPE and where they are using it which is solid for game planning. I think these two features are a big help to GMs and can greatly benefit the new EFL Manager and as it continues to grow, it can really look towards other leagues to implement everything that is needed to make it even more greater than it already is.

Posted (edited)

I'm just an EFL guy because this site already takes up a decent amount of time every week, but from looking at SBA they do have some cool things that are more specific for their teams. A segment for Hall of Fame/Retired numbers for franchises is pretty cool and helps you to solidify the fact that the great player you created is going to be remembered even if they didn't end up having some godly season where they set all kinds of records. From looking at VHL I can see that somee members over there have their current players listed under their name on every post, and that seems pretty useful since new guys joining the site don't really have any way of figuring that stuff out besides mining through team rosters or hoping they have a sig that lists their players. Other than that, I think these sites are already using some pretty similar strategies to try and make players want to stay/update, and I think the growth I've seen on this site since S6 has been pretty awesome as reflected by the growth of the NCAA and the two expansion EFL teams

Edited by Jetsqb101