Sign in to follow this  
Turner

ITT you suggest laptops for me

So my laptop is officially dead in the water as of today and I'm in the market for a new one. 

Im looking to stay under $500 and want something that can run photoshop decent so I can get back into graphics after years away and just basic internet stuff. Nothing fancy. I'm thinking 4GB Ram would suffice, but 8 would probably really ensure it runs smoothly. HD space isn't a huge need as I have external drives, but maybe 100+ just for good measure. 

DVD drive would be nice, but not a deal breaker if it's not included. My current budget doesn't allow me to have all the bells and whistles, I get that.  Any suggestions? 

13 minutes ago, Turner said:

So my laptop is officially dead in the water as of today and I'm in the market for a new one. 

Im looking to stay under $500 and want something that can run photoshop decent so I can get back into graphics after years away and just basic internet stuff. Nothing fancy. I'm thinking 4GB Ram would suffice, but 8 would probably really ensure it runs smoothly. HD space isn't a huge need as I have external drives, but maybe 100+ just for good measure. 

DVD drive would be nice, but not a deal breaker if it's not included. My current budget doesn't allow me to have all the bells and whistles, I get that.  Any suggestions? 

So, RAM is what i've found most important in terms of getting things to run quickly. You probably cannot find a 8 GB Ram laptop for under 500 (But if u do link me)

Best bet is to buy a 4 GB one and then add an extra 4 GB of Ram yourself.

3 hours ago, Bengals1fan said:

So, RAM is what i've found most important in terms of getting things to run quickly. You probably cannot find a 8 GB Ram laptop for under 500 (But if u do link me)

Best bet is to buy a 4 GB one and then add an extra 4 GB of Ram yourself.

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/hp-15-6-notebook-hp-15-6-notebook/prod21011272?xid=pdp_carousel_people-who-viewed-this-item-also-viewed_1

isnt the old saying "If it's too good to be true, it usually is." ? 

1 minute ago, Bengals1fan said:

Out of Stock

In stock at the store thirty minutes from me. 

Just now, Turner said:

In stock at the store thirty minutes from me. 

Same here. 

Doesn't get great reviews but there also aren't many reviews on Sam's Club's site. Have you checked it our elsewhere to read reviews? 

8 minutes ago, evryday said:

Same here. 

Doesn't get great reviews but there also aren't many reviews on Sam's Club's site. Have you checked it our elsewhere to read reviews? 

I checked amaZon. Most are pretty good on it, but one concerns me saying it runs painfully slow even at 8GB RAM. 

Just now, Turner said:

I checked amaZon. Most are pretty good on it, but one concerns me saying it runs painfully slow even at 8GB RAM. 

It depends what the user is trying to do. RAM is only one small component. You also have to factor in the HDD speed (5400 RPM = slow) and the CPU. In the case of the AMD A12 APU in the HP you're looking at the APU is fine for some workloads but if you have the iGPU running close to max the CPU speed throttles down significantly. Also some people just might have unreasonable expectations for a $400 laptop.

3 minutes ago, timeconsumer said:

It depends what the user is trying to do. RAM is only one small component. You also have to factor in the HDD speed (5400 RPM = slow) and the CPU. In the case of the AMD A12 APU in the HP you're looking at the APU is fine for some workloads but if you have the iGPU running close to max the CPU speed throttles down significantly. Also some people just might have unreasonable expectations for a $400 laptop.

This is true. They could be trying to do a thousand things at once for all I know. 

Theres a few reviews now saying it can be slow at times, but again, for all I know they've got multiple things on and running. 

I just really want to be able to run photoshop again. I miss it at times. And get on the internet. Basic really. No gaming, etc etc. 

My laptop right now is a Toshiba and only 4Ram and ran PS pretty decent. Every now and then it would take a couple seconds to respond to my command, but was usally

pretty solid otherwise. I'm not sure what I did, but everything I try it reverts back to using 100% of the CPU at all times and it's taking like two minutes to respond to me right now.  I can't find any of my old OS discs to try a complete restart, but at the price of paying for a new one and with how old and slow this thing is, a new one is my best bet. It's old as dirt at this point when it comes to laptops. xD

Alright well the one I linked above is a decent choice for an all-around laptop that should work fine out of the box. The one from Sam's is fine too considering it's $100 less. But if we want to dive deep let's get a few questions out of the way then:

1) Is the $500 cap a absolute firm budget? Or if I find you something that's significantly better for an additional $50-$100 is that a dealbreaker?

2) What size screen do you want? Is 13.3" too small or 17.7" too big, etc?

3) If we want to pursue the external HDD strategy, what connection are these operating on? USB 3? eSata?

4) How do you feel about refurbished?

5) Are you comfortable installing your own RAM upgrades?

6) Do you do photo/video editing also? If so we probably need to look at a full HD screen.

5 minutes ago, timeconsumer said:

Alright well the one I linked above is a decent choice for an all-around laptop that should work fine out of the box. The one from Sam's is fine too considering it's $100 less. But if we want to dive deep let's get a few questions out of the way then:

1) Is the $500 cap a absolute firm budget? Or if I find you something that's significantly better for an additional $50-$100 is that a dealbreaker?

2) What size screen do you want? Is 13.3" too small or 17.7" too big, etc?

3) If we want to pursue the external HDD strategy, what connection are these operating on? USB 3? eSata?

4) How do you feel about refurbished?

5) Are you comfortable installing your own RAM upgrades?

6) Do you do photo/video editing also? If so we probably need to look at a full HD screen.

Would like to stay at or under $500. With taxes, etc something at 499 + those would be my limit. Would consider something a little higher if it was significantly better. 

15" screen is perfect, bigger is not a deal breaker, smaller probably would be. 

USB

Not the worst thing in the world if it works. 

Havent done it before, but have heard it's not that hard, so I'd be willing to do it. 

No to video editing. Only photo editing would be photoshop, but I don't go out and take a thousand pictures and come back and edit them all. 

18 minutes ago, Turner said:

I better figure this out so I can update tomorrow night otherwise @evryday might have my head. :belichick1:

At least I'm aware of the situation lol regardless, won't you be laptopless anyway? 

2 minutes ago, evryday said:

At least I'm aware of the situation lol regardless, won't you be laptopless anyway? 

I can always do it from my phone worst case scenario. I can't do color for some reason but can Bold everything. It'll take me longer, but I can get it done. 

Otherwise my GF has hers from school buried somewhere but we haven't seen it in months and it's a POS too lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turner said:

I can always do it from my phone worst case scenario. I can't do color for some reason but can Bold everything. It'll take me longer, but I can get it done. 

Otherwise my GF has hers from school buried somewhere but we haven't seen it in months and it's a POS too lol. 

My laptop died like 3 years ago and my wife's just maybe 6 months ago so I got her a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 14. It's got a nice touchscreen and it's "convertible" but makes for a huge tablet, if you can even call it that lol

19 minutes ago, timeconsumer said:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-F5-573-Laptop-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B074JZY88N I'd probably go with this guy.

i5-7200U is a decent processor for your needs.

256gb SSD will be really fast, you can use your externals for media storage.

8gb of RAM, expandable to add more if you need to down the road.

15.6" full HD screen.

:jerrypoint:

looks decent enough, sounds good for what i need. Hmmmm. 

Yeah, feel free to shop around a bit for better prices and/or warranty options. But if you can find a good 7th gen i5 processor with a 128 or 256gb SSD, 15.6" screen, and 8gb of memory with Win 10 64-bit you're definitely in the ballpark for a good performer at your price point.

39 minutes ago, evryday said:

@Turner do you want me to find someone to cover for you or are you okay with updating still? 

I'll be good 

• Thanks 1