Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

NCAA's First Half MVP

Who is the NCAA's first half MVP?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think neither Nathan Lee or Lance Swift IV should win MVP, since USC would probably still have a dope regular season in the Weak Weak West without either one. Heck, Benjen Hands probably can stake a good claim to be the USC WR candidate if they needed one. While Lee leads the league in completion percentage and TD-to-interception ratio, his usage rate is exceptionally low (209 attempts are third lowest, but consider McPlayerface has 205 attempts + 16 sacks = 221 pass plays while Lee has 209 attempts + 10 sacks = 219 pass plays, we can safely say only Alabama uses their quarterback less). Conversely, Battle only leads the league in most passing statistics because he is used so often. Plugging in another average quarterback such as Schrock or Wang into the OSU offense would probably result in similar performance.

Eezee Catches is arguably the cream of the crop right now in the wide receiver department, but it should be noted that Brutus Krenzel, their No. 2 receiver, is performing at a level roughly similar to Alabama's No. 1 receiver DuJuan Cook. Zoidberg is also the best catching tight end in the league, while Tommy Oliver also has four touchdowns, so I have to imagine the Buckeyes' offense will still click decently without Catches. Leonard Lawson and Boris Bonecrusher are similarly elite defenders, but there are other playmakers on both defenses so no, neither gets the MVP vote in my eyes.

Therefore, Bucko Kilroy is my early season MVP. Despite possibly being the second best running back this year behind Bryson West, it has to be the said that the Alabama offense runs through Kilroy right now and the East would not be as competitive without Kilroy. Might be biased af, but hey, I stated my points.

@Spanx

• Love 1

@punkhippie It could be said USC's power is the reason WHY both Texas and Notre Dame are that weak. Notre Dame did just beat Ohio State, then only lose by 7, as well as almost beat Alabama. Texas has almost beaten Alabama too. That's always going to be a debate. Hard to say when the majority of their games are against USC, who is what on the spectrum of talent.

What Nathan Lee is doing is hard to be argued, straight up.

1 minute ago, Shaka said:

@punkhippie It could be said USC's power is the reason WHY both Texas and Notre Dame are that weak. Notre Dame did just beat Ohio State, then only lose by 7, as well as almost beat Alabama. Texas has almost beaten Alabama too. That's always going to be a debate. Hard to say when the majority of their games are against USC, who is what on the spectrum of talent.

What Nathan Lee is doing is hard to be argued, straight up.

That is a legit argument, but it's also hard to give him MVP with how little USC passes. There's a reason Gale Grey won Heisman over Nathan Lee right? It's like saying it wouldn't be fair if Kai Wang got MVP for 11 more completions (to match Lee's completion percentage) and five more touchdowns (to match Lee's TD-to-int ratio), because Kilroy is getting most of the action, and Wang is only performing so well because opponents are respecting the run or something. Admittedly Boudreaux isn't as OP as Grey was, but he's still arguably the best running back in the league.

Just now, punkhippie said:

That is a legit argument, but it's also hard to give him MVP with how little USC passes. There's a reason Gale Grey won Heisman over Nathan Lee right? It's like saying it wouldn't be fair if Kai Wang got MVP for 11 more completions (to match Lee's completion percentage) and five more touchdowns (to match Lee's TD-to-int ratio), because Kilroy is getting most of the action, and Wang is only performing so well because opponents are respecting the run or something. Admittedly Boudreaux isn't as OP as Grey was, but he's still arguably the best running back in the league.

It's def gona be a good debate til the end. He's the Alex Smith in an MVP conversation. 16 TD's, 6 Picks and 63% completions is a good start. IF he finishes 31-12 with that kind of % it'll be hard to vote against. But Bucko is right there to me.

Let's just write in Sherman Richard. Advanced statistics show he edges out @cosbornballboy however you spell it Dookmarriott the second as the best cornerback in the league. Analysis coming in an article later.

Just now, punkhippie said:

Let's just write in Sherman Richard. Advanced statistics show he edges out @cosbornballboy however you spell it Dookmarriott the second as the best cornerback in the league. Analysis coming in an article later.

This should be good @timeconsumer

Just now, Shaka said:

It's def gona be a good debate til the end. He's the Alex Smith in an MVP conversation. 16 TD's, 6 Picks and 63% completions is a good start. IF he finishes 31-12 with that kind of % it'll be hard to vote against. But Bucko is right there to me.

I haven't been in such a peaceful debate in a while xD

1 minute ago, Shaka said:

The same happened last year but his production really dropped late in the season

2 minutes ago, Coach D said:

Wonder if Boudreaux can get into this race at some point?

Was kinda shocked you weren't on the shortlist

12 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Was kinda shocked you weren't on the shortlist

I have 7 Rush TD and lead all RB in YPC. Been flying up the total yards list since getting more carries. 

On 10/5/2017 at 2:00 PM, punkhippie said:

I think neither Nathan Lee or Lance Swift IV should win MVP, since USC would probably still have a dope regular season in the Weak Weak West without either one. Heck, Benjen Hands probably can stake a good claim to be the USC WR candidate if they needed one. While Lee leads the league in completion percentage and TD-to-interception ratio, his usage rate is exceptionally low (209 attempts are third lowest, but consider McPlayerface has 205 attempts + 16 sacks = 221 pass plays while Lee has 209 attempts + 10 sacks = 219 pass plays, we can safely say only Alabama uses their quarterback less). Conversely, Battle only leads the league in most passing statistics because he is used so often. Plugging in another average quarterback such as Schrock or Wang into the OSU offense would probably result in similar performance.

Eezee Catches is arguably the cream of the crop right now in the wide receiver department, but it should be noted that Brutus Krenzel, their No. 2 receiver, is performing at a level roughly similar to Alabama's No. 1 receiver DuJuan Cook. Zoidberg is also the best catching tight end in the league, while Tommy Oliver also has four touchdowns, so I have to imagine the Buckeyes' offense will still click decently without Catches. Leonard Lawson and Boris Bonecrusher are similarly elite defenders, but there are other playmakers on both defenses so no, neither gets the MVP vote in my eyes.

Therefore, Bucko Kilroy is my early season MVP. Despite possibly being the second best running back this year behind Bryson West, it has to be the said that the Alabama offense runs through Kilroy right now and the East would not be as competitive without Kilroy. Might be biased af, but hey, I stated my points.

@Spanx

IMO, Kilroy's stats aren't all that impressive. He gets used a ton and it shows. He's a volume back, perhaps a middle-to-upper tier starter. He has 250 more yards than #2, but he also has 80 more attempts. His YPC is pitiful at 4.4, behind a line of great bots and being a high TPE back. Grey was 5.3 last year, and Clarett Jr. was 4.9. That might not seems like a lot, but when you're averaging 32.5 touches each game, that yard or half-yard adds up. Also, it doesn't compare very well with players like Bryson West (5.2 YPC), Colt Cream (4.7 YPC), DK Boudreux (6.2 YPC), all of whom have less TPE than him. Looking at TDs, Kilroy (5) falls again to West (7), Cream (7), and Boudreux (8). He just gets a ton of carries and so he gets the spotlight. I don't think of Kilroy as anything special in terms of a running back. He just doesn't have the average or TD number to support being in serious consideration for Heisman.

5 minutes ago, GoodLeftUndone said:

Nathan Lee is winning this, or at least it's his to lose at this point.

21TD/6INT is crazy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 124715 said:

IMO, Kilroy's stats aren't all that impressive. He gets used a ton and it shows. He's a volume back, perhaps a middle-to-upper tier starter. He has 250 more yards than #2, but he also has 80 more attempts. His YPC is pitiful at 4.4, behind a line of great bots and being a high TPE back. Grey was 5.3 last year, and Clarett Jr. was 4.9. That might not seems like a lot, but when you're averaging 32.5 touches each game, that yard or half-yard adds up. Also, it doesn't compare very well with players like Bryson West (5.2 YPC), Colt Cream (4.7 YPC), DK Boudreux (6.2 YPC), all of whom have less TPE than him. Looking at TDs, Kilroy (5) falls again to West (7), Cream (7), and Boudreux (8). He just gets a ton of carries and so he gets the spotlight. I don't think of Kilroy as anything special in terms of a running back. He just doesn't have the average or TD number to support being in serious consideration for Heisman.

Can't disagree with that. Who is your pick then? And is Heisman most outstanding or most valuable?

6 hours ago, punkhippie said:

Can't disagree with that. Who is your pick then? And is Heisman most outstanding or most valuable?

To be honest, kind of both! I'd personally go with most valuable. You say the USC would still have a great season without me or Swifty, but I don't think we'd be a force, just a competent team. I don't know how to judge Heisman, maybe a BOD can weigh in on why they chose Grey last year?

• Like 1