CptMatt

EFL Manager Updates & Discussion

Shield.png Manager

In case you've missed it, I'm working on a project to simplify and streamline the leagues management. So I figured I'd make a post where I can provide updates and easily ask for help and suggestions from you guys (and take the discussion out of the point task prompt thread which I may have hijacked for a bit!)

So what is the EFL Manager going to be?

The ultimate plan is to make it into a one stop shop for all the league management aspects, from player rosters to updates, from scholarship and contract management to depth charts and strategies, and whatever other things I can think of. The idea will be to automate a lot of the manual work that needs to be done now and provide a clean interface for players to manage their characters while minimising the huge amount of forum threads required currently.

How will I log onto the Manager?

Currently there is a regular ol' create account and login page, but if all goes well I should be able to use the forum API to have it recognise that you're logged in on here and then log you in automatically on the Manager. As I've already created the regular login screen though and user database I will provide additional functionality to provide a local password if you want so you would still be able to access the manager and your players in situations where the forum might be down for maintenance.

Will we have to create all our players again on the manager?

No, in the event that we were to switch over to using the manager full time over our current methods - I could populate the player database using the exported player file from the game - then the only manual work at that point is to point those players at the account that controls them. Minimal effort is the design philosophy I am following.

So can I see the full player lists in the Manager for everyone in the league?

You will be able to, yes. Basically think of the team rosters on the index currently, accept all compiled in a searchable, sortable, filterable list matched up with their TPE and APE with the names linked to their player pages. This will also function to replace my badly designed and named TPE Index.

So how will I update my players?

Once logged into the homepage there will be a button on the header menu for "Your Players" which will take you to a page showing a summary of your player and the main options relating to their management, ie. There will be a button called "Update". Once clicked, you'll be prompted to fill in a form selecting the type of point task (allowing the server to automatically tally up the TPE you've earnt and prevent shenanigans) or picking a custom PT (to cover the event of us having random uncapped extra bonuses that only happen sometimes, like halloween or christmas events) then you just need to provide the URLs as you would normally. After this you will be prompted by a nice GUI to apply your points however you see fit with the website doing the math to prevent any mistakes we some times get from people forgetting or misunderstanding the TPE scale. Then click submit!

Okay.... so you're making it look fancy, how is this easier?

Well, it might be about the same amount of work for regular players but in this department it's really to benefit our updaters and simmers. Once you click submit on your update it is tagged as update pending, at which point users with updater access rights can see it in a custom list all in one place - so they won't have to troll through all the update forums to see who has posted an update - and they won't have to check the maths because the server has handled the math, they just need to check the URLs are good, then they can accept the update. If something is wrong with a users update they can reject the update with a note which hopefully (via the forum API) will send you a PM here to let you know your update needs work and will show you the comment from the updater - so you can just go in make the changes and resubmit. 

Well that sounds pretty good.

It sure does, and it doesn't stop there - ideally the simmers will be able to go on the manager and hit one button to download the complete player list in the format that DDS:PF accepts for player lists to be imported. So no more hours spent in the offseason fixing up rosters, updating players and adding new ones. Now it can all be handled in our usual processes that we do currently and then just exported out the manager and imported into the game. Week to week game file updates will become a 10 minute jobby.

Wow!

I know right, and that's only the plan for version 1. I'll happily talk about other features I'd like to add another time but this post is getting long. :D

So how do I keep track of your updates?

Well I will post any changes in this thread and you'll probably find me posting lots of requests for people to check things are working or that they look right on different devices - but the best way to keep an eye on the updates is to just go to the site and log in! It's being built live, if you're really eager you could sit and refresh the page constantly and watch my make improvements and changes bit by bit... you damn stalkers. 

EFL Manager

Until I have the auto login thing working, you can use the following:

Login using your EFL forum email address and password.

Edited by evryday
matt asked me to fix the link after he updated it :)
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

55 minutes ago, academydropout said:

Looking good so far. Seems like you've got it all under control but if you need an assist with anything, let me know.

I think you and @cptmatt are from the same area so at least working together would be easier timezone-wise.

What do we think about this player card?

This player card will be on the Your Players page, if you click to a specific player you will get a different layout with more information.

QdGEBDc.pngmeAP6Ns.png

I'm going to make some changes, such as making the player information values in line with the atrribute values and maybe shift them all a bit more sideways.

Also might change up the Actions button colour so it's more obvious thats where you click to get your dropdown for things you can do... like Update :D

second one is better?

Edited by cptmatt

PLAYER CARDS NOW WITH .GIF SUPPORT.

I mean they always had gif support but I just realised I could do it and now I fully expect everyone to be using gifs for the player photos in the future. :D

you like dat washington redskins GIF by NFL

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Unless you’re on Bama, USC, or OSU lol

Why?

Because of the blue headers?

Also, side note: I found a way to spit out the league index HTML onto a page on my site on load, figured I could do that and overwrite the CSS for it and attempt to implement it into my manager... it might be possible but it'd be a damn ball ache so I've shelved the idea for now :P 

Edited by cptmatt

10 minutes ago, cptmatt said:

Why?

Because of the blue headers?

Also, side note: I found a way to spit out the league index HTML onto a page on my site on load, figured I could do that and overwrite the CSS for it and attempt to implement it into my manager... it might be possible but it'd be a damn ball ache so I've shelved the idea for now :P 

You could try to export the HTML directly from the sim.

Right now it's not letting me see anything so I can't really suggest. But maybe after we get our accounts set up I can take a detailed look and give some suggestions!

7 minutes ago, 124715 said:

Right now it's not letting me see anything so I can't really suggest. But maybe after we get our accounts set up I can take a detailed look and give some suggestions!

What do you mean it's not letting you see anything? D: What were you trying to look at?

I was just messing around trying to work out why sessions weren't being closed when people logged out so I might have broken something, but it's all working now.

8 minutes ago, 124715 said:

You could try to export the HTML directly from the sim.

I can do that but I'd have to do it manually everytime there is an update. I was trying to find a way to just steal the html from the index so whenever the index was update the manager would get it too :P

Edited by cptmatt
  • Like 1

Just now, cptmatt said:

What do you mean it's not letting you see anything? D: What were you trying to look at?

I was just messing around trying to work out why sessions weren't being closed when people logged out so I might have broken something, but it's all working now.

I was in the test account looking at the players then all the buttons ceased to work including the menu buttons. I don't think it's a big thing since it's not a real account tho :) 

5 minutes ago, 124715 said:

I was in the test account looking at the players then all the buttons ceased to work including the menu buttons. I don't think it's a big thing since it's not a real account tho :) 

Ah, the only buttons working are between Home and Your Players at the moment. So I guess it was working as intended? :P 

Everytime I settle into adding a big chunk of something visible I notice a problem on the back end lol, yesterday it was buttons not working, today it was the sessions not closing. tomorrow who knows.

I'm hoping to get the roster page done this weekend and also set up the db for players and hook that up with the player cards. but it won't have much content still until I hear back from Shaka regarding the API.

Edited by cptmatt

Just now, punkhippie said:

Red action button would blend right in

There are not theeeeeemes. I'm just using the blue and red from the Shield as my colours for headers and HEY LOOK AT ME's. 

If I implement themes at any point then I'll change up the HEY LOOK AT ME colour :P

If I can import the DDSPF exported players into my database, i'll definitely be able to export them back out again at the click of a button :D  @Turner @Advantage 

4ltuers.png

• Love 1

Playercard now show the players you own (if ya'll had accounts) but TestAccount is listed in the db as being the owner of Arbin Asipi and Johnny Respect... While @duckberg who made an account can now log into his account to see his players in their playercards.

the data I'm using is from like last season or summin so it is out of date. Also for Asipi, the team logo is correct but no one updated his college listed in the game (in the data set I have) hence why it says he is still at alabama.

Next step is adding ability to change pictures and then onto a complete player list :D

Just now, evryday said:

Sooo, I joined on mobile but it's saying the user doesn't exist on PC.

It is case sensitive. Gimme 5 I'll check the db.

Just now, cptmatt said:

It is case sensitive. Gimme 5 I'll check the db.

okay, no problem.I got it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, evryday said:

okay, no problem.I got it.

Neat neat. At the moment it will say you have no players because it has to be manually linked up (or created on site but that's not made yet) if we make the swap over I'll have a button to 'claim' a player to let people pick up their guys. Would just need an admin to confirm the claim.

• Love 1

I'm afraid I'm not gunna be able to do the full player list in the manager this weekend. But you can now go in and change your players picture via the actions menu 👍

v0.002 -
removed direct links to individual players, now accessible through the Actions menu on the Your Players page. Player pictures can be updated via Actions menu, URL to image required, as long as the image is around or more than 300x300px it should be fitted to the space automatically. Can access full player profiles through Actions menu, looking for suggestions for layout.

Also created an archetype DB and in the process of having it display the correct caps per archetype. Eventually it'll tie into validations on updates. 

Players will have to set their own archetype when they claim their players though, I'm not going through 1400ish rows adding them in myself.

Also noticed some discrepancies between the details in the create a player help thread and the player archetype thread, @Turner qb pocket passer is the one I remember off the top of my head.

Edited by cptmatt