punkhippie

Photoshop tutorial

So it might not be useful, it might be. But I just spent half an hour translating it for OnMyWings so I might as well share it here too.

No my Chinese doesn’t suck so much it took me 30 minutes. It took me that long because I typed it in mobile while snuggling in bed and switching windows between the tutorial and the word processor lol.

19 hours ago, OnMyWings said:

Hey punk,

I remember you saying at some point that you knew Chinese and I came across a tutorial in Chinese that I'd like to try out. Is this something you could maybe translate when you get a chance? No worries if you don't have the time or capabilities to do so, just poking around.

https://images.uiiiuiii.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/MM-0822-justill-02.jpg

54 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

I’m actually a Chinese person lol, not a foreigner who happens to know Chinese, which is what comes across from your wording haha. Sure I’ll do my best, since technical terms might not translate across very well. Resign that dual threat QB you dropped earlier though, start him over Hazard, and set your run/pass ratio to 100 for the rest of the season and playoffs though eh? xD 

35 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

4 - Open PS (this section is important)

First drag in a picture you like, this picture can be your photograph, it can be a sketch of yours, or it can even be a creation of yours beforehand. I’d like to recommend everybody to try different pictures, because the resulting effects might not match what you want... so you must try a lot. I tested no less than 10 pictures for this tutorial. If the “material” (that word came off weird in the context of this sentence) isn’t good, you can learn how to make good “materials” here, for example combinatiok, sketch, and initial color modifications.

*screenshot of dropdown menu*

FILTER > STYLIZE > STICK OUT (you might want to just look at the placement and positioning of the menus if you have the same version because your English Photoshop probably doesn’t have a “stick out” button lol)

First trial

Size: 10px

Depth: 100, select random

*screenshot of “stick out” options*

Square style is selected instead of pyramid

Size 10px

Depth 100, random selected instead of based on colour

Front face of 3-D is check marked

Blur incomplete squares is unchecked

You can see the resulting effect is quite spread out, not meeting the effect we want. So we have to change the specifications. Let’s see what happens if we make the size smaller.

Second trial

Size: 4px

Depth: 50, select random

When size and depth is smaller, the whole image becomes more dense. The squares are also smaller, and overall the depth got much shallower (no shit, this sounds like a beginner’s tutorial lol).

I still think it doesn’t reach my desired effect, so have to try again.

Third trial

Size: 4px

Depth: 50, select based on colour

*image showing you how size changes the size of the squares and depth changes the length of how much it sticks out*

Conclusion:

Size is changing the size of the squares that stick out, while depth is changing how much each square sticks out (NO SHIT ASIPI COULD FIGURE THIS OUT). The purpose of selecting “based on colour” is that the squares will change according to their colour, so they don’t stick out randomly and endlessly. Many “materials” (ah I guess the thing you are making is a material) will have unimaginable effects, so if you want it to be what you envisioned it as, you must repeatedly try by using different source photos and different specifications (size and depth) to achieve what you want.

15 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

5 - Combime/color adjustment

In order for a better stick out theme, have to blend in the features of the snake and the background.

”Material” must also be done using “stick out” (above stylize/filter I guess is what it is referencing).

Put the snake that has been stuck out on the top layer, and change the blending option to PIN LIGHT (pretty sure it is, it’s a technical term and there are so many similar blending options like overlay, multiply, soft light, hard light, color dodge, etc. but I think it is pin light), then it will blend in with the layer below. At this time, you’ll have to adjust the curves and color balance according to the picture, but do it according to personal feel and your grasp of the picture at hand.

My sharing of knowledge comes to a close here, I wrote it in quite detail this time (no shit, you might wanna find the source page you got this from because this tutorial started from step 4), hope everyone trys very bravely and openly without restrain, and hope to see a lot of creations. I’ve said before that a lot of my creations are using this method, just done with different specifications (size/depth), different combinations, and different layering of colors. The principle is the same but can be done in a million ways, the method is the same.

8 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

6 - About where to find materials

A large portion of my materials were gathered by myself, it’s good to develop a habit of collecting materials (wait I think translating materials to stocks or something is better). Sometimes I’m jist browsing pointlessly and see a photo with some feel, so I almost always save it first. Evetually I have a whole library of stocks.

*screenshot with his folders of scenery, people, colours, materials, patterns, and assorted*

Recommended websites for stocks:

International: Pinterest, pixabay, Behance, Gratisography, Google

Chinese domestic: I’ll send you the links to them later

Lastly, I have attached in the bottom right corner the original file of last time’s tutorial on 3D blue spiral (I don’t see anything)

8 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

:cheers: 

• Like 2