EFL News
  • ECFA: MONDAY WEDNESDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY
  • EFL: TUESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY
Sign in to follow this  
Higgo4

Under the Radar No Longer

"It sucked. There's no other way I can put it, it sucked to see another team holding that championship trophy aloft"

Tyson Kelly had just finished rewatching and reliving last season's EFL Championship game. For many players on the losing end, it's not something they'd be eager to do, having to sit there and re-watch everything. Every missed opportunity, every dropped pass...and crucially watching your opponent be crowned champion. For Kelly though, it was a cathartic experience he wanted to have.

"I didn't want to shy away and act like the game never happened. Was it easy to sit through? No absolutely not. Did I make the pain of losing any better? Not really. But to try and brush it aside and burn the tape...from my end that would be burning a tape of what was the biggest day of my life thus far.  It didn't end how we wanted to obviously, but I can take pride in how we fought that game out" Kelly said

Indeed the Wolfpack gave it their absolute all and put up a valiant fight, with Kelly himself posting six catches for 70 yards and a touchdown. But, in the end, they were simply overpowered by the high-octane Memphis offence and succumbed 35-21

"What can I say, we gave them our best and matched them for three quarters, but we just couldn't keep up with them for that last quarter. Like I said, I'm proud of how we performed and pretty pleased with how I played personally. It's really disappointing that we couldn't send Boaty McBoatface and Dewey Jackson out on a high note, but sometimes fairy tales just don't have that happy ending"

The loss of Dewey Jackson to the expansion draft (where he would be picked by the Toronto Skyhawks and subsequently traded to the NY Herd) was particularly felt by Kelly, as Jackson had taken the young Kelly under his wing after being drafted and helped him with the transition to being a full-time receiver

"I can't speak highly enough of Dewey and how great of a teammate he was to me. He's been a great mentor for me the last three years and given me so much insight into playing receiver that's really helped my development. I wish him nothing but the best in NY and I'm sure I'll catch up with him when we face off this season"

Boaty McBoatface's retirement did open up a spot for a lead back in San Antonio, but that seems likely to be filled by draftee Cheeks McIntyre, with Kelly content playing wide receiver

"Maybe if this had happened after my first season, I'd be jumping up and down to get that lead back role, but I've really grown into this receiving role and I'm enjoying it. Obviously, if coach wanted me to be the starting running back, I'd be glad to do it, but with us grabbing a tremendous talent in Cheeks McIntyre, I'm happy to stay where I am and lead him be our lead back" Kelly said of the matter

It is likely that defences will likely be paying Kelly closer attention this season, as he likely shapes as the Wolfpack's leading wide receiver. With Matt Saracen still on the roster, Kelly is not the only receiving threat to worry about, but he will no longer be able to fly under oppositions defences' radars. Having posted 3 consecutive seasons of 900+ receiving yards, but not one over 1000 yards, Kelly says he knows he must up his game to the next level, especially with the extra attention he will receive. 

"I can no longer hide behind a better receiver, safe in the knowledge that there's another receiver who'll occupy more of the defense's attention. It's up to me to combat that extra attention and rise above it. We've just lost a thousand yard receiver, so we've gotta make up for that. I know another 900 yard season ain't going to cut it anymore. I don't want to be a sidekick that can't hack it as a main guy, I'm determined to be a sidekick that grew with the extra responsibility to become the lead. Might be a big ask of someone who's only played full time receiver for three years of his footballing career, but that's my aim for this year because that's what this team needs from me" Kelly said emphatically

The Wolfpack will certainly be relying on Kelly to make that step up as they aim to return to postseason action. 

• Like 1
  • That's Lit! 1

This Media Spot has been claimed in EFLO for 6 TPE (Word Count: 734), using Clipp-E.

This Media Spot has been claimed in EFLO for 6 TPE (Word Count: 734), using Clipp-E.

Love it! Kelly has been such a monster so far in his career! Has some time left to continue that and get a championship!

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:SAN: