EFL News
ECFA: MONDAY WEDNESDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY EFL: TUESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY

S22 offseason rules discussion

We are back from another offseason summit and we have the following info to share with you all: 

New BOD

Issue: We could use some more eyes and suggestions on tasks/issues at hand, so did we want to add more BOD. 

Result: You all are already aware we brought Dan into the BOD as it was announced a few days ago 

FS playing at CB

Issue: It has come up a few times that a FS playing at CB gains an advantage in the sim and we discussed this this offseason. 

Result: It was mentioned to the ADs and GMs that this change could be coming this offseason and to prepare accordingly, but we would like to do more extensive testing on this before we just jump into a rule change. Hopefully someone will be spearheading this this season. 

Capping Carryover

Issue: Players with no cap to their carryover will just continue to snowball their tpe totals and this snowball their next carryover amount. We mentioned last offseason that we were discussing this and did not want to rush into a decision. We continued to talk last season and again this offseason. 

Result: Carryover WILL be capped moving forward at 100 per player or 120 when you do both your carryover career point tasks. This means if you earn 2000 tpe in your career you will earn the max of 100 carryover with the standard 5%. 

Extra 2% Carryover Purchase

Issue: This allows for a greater boost to your carryover, is it time to get rid of it? 

Result: This purchase will NOT be going away. We feel if a player has the money and wants to get closer to their 100 carryover amount, they should be able to do this. 

Capping Carryover Grandfathered In 

Issue: If we capped carryover, who would be grandfathered in? 

Result: With the extra 2% on carryover, a player would need to hit 1429 tpe to get to the 100 cap at 7% carryover amount. If you are currently at, or above 1400 tpe, you will be grandfathered into the old carryover rules. This should effect 12 players that will be grandfathered in. 

Regressing Banked TPE

Issue: Due to the lack of build variance, players can begin to bank really early in their careers. 

Result: Banked TPE will be regressed moving forward. What is still up for discussion at the moment is what this percentage will be. Will it be a flat amount every season or would it coincide with the regular regression amounts. 

Salary Cap/Roster Floors/Cap Calculations

Issue: Teams are currently allowed to sign as many players as they can if they’re under the cap and teams can also choose to not sign a lot of players creating a disparity in the cap calculations. 

Result: As of now we are working on this one. We may have a formula we are going to try out, which may need to come with a salary cap or roster floor. We will keep working on this one. 

Filler Rules

Issue: Some people don’t like the “new” filler rules and want to go back to how it used to be. 

Result: The filler rules will stay as is. We believe 100 tpe in your frosh season is obviously better than the 50 you were allowed before, but that staying at 100 will still continue to encourage ADs to drop these fillers to sign new creates, which is how it should be. While we are certainly not calling out any of the ADs, we just know how hard it can be to drop a 150-199 filler for an unknown new create. The ECFA is a developmental league first and foremost so allowing fillers to have more tpe would just take away roster spots from newly created players. 

• Like 4
  • Eyes 3
41 minutes ago, Turner said:

Result: The filler rules will stay as is. We believe 100 tpe in your frosh season is obviously better than the 50 you were allowed before, but that staying at 100 will still continue to encourage ADs to drop these fillers to sign new creates, which is how it should be. While we are certainly not calling out any of the ADs, we just know how hard it can be to drop a 150-199 filler for an unknown new create. The ECFA is a developmental league first and foremost so allowing fillers to have more tpe would just take away roster spots from newly created players. 

I'll give you all of the chicken wings you can handle if you make the fillers caps 125 for all ECFA seasons. 👀 Lol Just kidding, I really don't care tbh, I value my users over fillers anyway

• Haha 1

One thing I thought about that I mentioned to @Sharkstrong is separating seasonal record for EFL for those produced during a 14 game season and those produced during a 16 game season. This would be similar to the NCAA seasonal records compared to the ECFA season records. Preserves a bit of history as you can see the records across the different eras. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Turner said:

Regressing Banked TPE

Issue: Due to the lack of build variance, players can begin to bank really early in their careers. 

Result: Banked TPE will be regressed moving forward. What is still up for discussion at the moment is what this percentage will be. Will it be a flat amount every season or would it coincide with the regular regression amounts. 

I think this is a terrible idea. The whole reason you bank TPE is to fight regression, not so that TPE can also get regressed. There's also going to come a point where a player will participate all season long, just to see all of the TPE they banked that season "regressed" and gone. That's a bad user experience.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, twists said:

I think this is a terrible idea. The whole reason you bank TPE is to fight regression, not so that TPE can also get regressed. There's also going to come a point where a player will participate all season long, just to see all of the TPE they banked that season "regressed" and gone. That's a bad user experience.

We’re not the only league make this change, in fact another league out there let’s you take from your banked to cover your regression every season, so it’s nothing new. It’s not the most ideal thing, we get that, but it’ll help with people holding onto their banks for extended periods of times due to the lack of build variance with the engine. Coupled with the capped carryover, This will also help with player turnover instead of players just hanging onto tpe for 12-13-14+ seasons. The ability to purchase the reduced regression will still apply and more than likely will affect this percentage as well, but that is an ongoing conversation. If you want to fight regression, you still can, you just probably won’t be able to do it for an extremely extended period of time like we have seen in the past and this avoids us coming out and saying “This is your max career length”. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Patdatass said:

One thing I thought about that I mentioned to @Sharkstrong is separating seasonal record for EFL for those produced during a 14 game season and those produced during a 16 game season. This would be similar to the NCAA seasonal records compared to the ECFA season records. Preserves a bit of history as you can see the records across the different eras. 

This should definitely be the case once this gets taken care of. I personally don’t believe in mixing the “eras” without having some sort of way to differentiate between the two of they’re in the same thread. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, twists said:

Piggybacking off what Turner said, I'm one that has planned for banking a lot to play a long career. My defensive player is going into his 11th season (3rd year of being regressed) and I had about 500 banked after rollover. Patdatass was going into Y13 or Y14 and has banked incredibly to fight 6 years of regression, but even he's mentioned he's lost some interest over the past couple seasons. Banking for regression can still be done, and I plan to continue doing it even if this happens.

22 hours ago, Turner said:

If you are currently at, or above 1400 tpe, you will be grandfathered into the old carryover rules. This should effect 12 players that will be grandfathered in. 

trying hard to kill Griffintown's carryover in S40

22 hours ago, Turner said:

also this. Really just killing Griffintown's long career plan. F

On 8/18/2020 at 10:10 PM, Turner said:

Result: You all are already aware we brought Dan into the BOD as it was announced a few days ago 

Yes

• Eyes 2
26 minutes ago, Latti said:

Yes

This situation is similar to my old job; where another guy had been there a bit longer, but I got a raise cause I have my class 1. I felt bad cause he deserved a raise too. My supervisor asked if I wanted to give my raise to him. And I said no, I deserve this raise too. 

Happy ending; A month later he got a raise too. 

Not so happy ending: About 2 months after that most of my company got the Rona/ low oil price layoff 

I'm not a fan of regressing banked TPE. At all. Why go through the trouble of earning it to fight regression if it's going to just be taken away on top of the normal regression? If you want to force a max career length, just do that and wipe the records clean since they're going to become unattainable.