EFL News
ECFA: MONDAY WEDNESDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY EFL: TUESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY

Making the case for ECFA freshman offensive and defensive player of the year

Today I will making the case for both my freshman players in the ECFA to win freshman offensive and defensive player of the year. First, we’ll start with my wide receiver on offense.

Now the offensive freshman of the year will most likely go to a RB due to how run heavy the ECFA is, but I can still dream. To make my case, I took 5 other top freshman receivers to compare the stats against Raheem Mustard.

spacer.png

So, here we can see Mustard seems to fall short in stats compared to the others with a first glance. However, he is doing better than the stats say. We’ll start with the bad first. Mustard has the lowest yardage out of the 6 freshman receivers I took a look at. Not the best. He has a middle of the pack to below average yards per catch. Not great either. He’s tied for the shortest longest catch of the year. Definitely not looking good. But there is light at the end of the tunnel! Mustard got the 2nd highest TD total tailing only EggSalad. Not the best by Mustard but we can look into this a bit more.

spacer.png

Here are some team statistics and the % that the player accounted for. For example, Mustard accounted for 20.6% of the Pirates’ pass completions. This shows that Mustard isn’t getting the opportunities that EggSalad or O’Mickeys are getting. Not only are they getting looked at more, their QB is passing a lot more. Biscayne Bay had the lowest pass completions out of all the other teams on this list. Finally, we’ll look at the TD %. This is where Mustard really shines. Mustard accounted for over half of his teams passing touchdowns with the next receiver over 17% below him. Mustard has shown that he has the potential – he just needs more opportunity to ball out. But who am I kidding, a RB will probably win this award.

Now, we’ll go to the defensive side. This gets a little tricky because I took a look at two positions primarily. Cornerbacks and linebackers. This was because I felt like there weren’t too many standout safety’s that I could put on this list.

spacer.png

So, lets first compare the freshman cornerbacks. Fitzgerald and Hinata lead the pack with 4 interceptions and 12 passes defensed with Wooter close behind with 3 interceptions and 7 passes defensed. As impressive as Fitzgerald has been playing, I’m going to knock him out of the race because he is listed as the #2 CB on the team in a pass heavy conference. If you want proof of this, just take a look at the index. The top 5 out of 6 teams in passing yards are in the Hero’s conference. So, now the top CB freshman is down to Wooter and Hinata. While Hinata does have a leg up on Wooter with one extra interception and 5 more PD’s, Wooter has 2 defensive touchdowns to Hinata’s 0. Interceptions are already hard to come by in a run heavy conference so to be able to turn those interceptions into points is very valuable.

Now to compare Wooter to the freshman linebackers. BOT283, Greening, and Ivanov standout the most to me. BOT283 has an impressive 139 tackles, 5 TFL and 4 FF, 2 sacks, and 1 INT. A huge force in the run game but not the best in the pass game. Greening has almost half BOT283’s tackles (72) but makes up for it with an impressive 11 TFL’s. Despite this, Greening is also a liability in coverage with no PD’s or interceptions. Ivanov, on the other hand, has been a standout cover LB with 9 PD’s, 2 INT, and a defensive touchdown. While the linebackers have been impressive, the awards committee should look at how Wooter has performed despite being in a run heavy conference.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • That's Lit! 1
On 2/21/2021 at 9:46 AM, firstfray said:

Today I will making the case for both my freshman players in the ECFA to win freshman offensive and defensive player of the year. First, we’ll start with my wide receiver on offense.

Now the offensive freshman of the year will most likely go to a RB due to how run heavy the ECFA is, but I can still dream. To make my case, I took 5 other top freshman receivers to compare the stats against Raheem Mustard.

spacer.png

So, here we can see Mustard seems to fall short in stats compared to the others with a first glance. However, he is doing better than the stats say. We’ll start with the bad first. Mustard has the lowest yardage out of the 6 freshman receivers I took a look at. Not the best. He has a middle of the pack to below average yards per catch. Not great either. He’s tied for the shortest longest catch of the year. Definitely not looking good. But there is light at the end of the tunnel! Mustard got the 2nd highest TD total tailing only EggSalad. Not the best by Mustard but we can look into this a bit more.

spacer.png

Here are some team statistics and the % that the player accounted for. For example, Mustard accounted for 20.6% of the Pirates’ pass completions. This shows that Mustard isn’t getting the opportunities that EggSalad or O’Mickeys are getting. Not only are they getting looked at more, their QB is passing a lot more. Biscayne Bay had the lowest pass completions out of all the other teams on this list. Finally, we’ll look at the TD %. This is where Mustard really shines. Mustard accounted for over half of his teams passing touchdowns with the next receiver over 17% below him. Mustard has shown that he has the potential – he just needs more opportunity to ball out. But who am I kidding, a RB will probably win this award.

Now, we’ll go to the defensive side. This gets a little tricky because I took a look at two positions primarily. Cornerbacks and linebackers. This was because I felt like there weren’t too many standout safety’s that I could put on this list.

spacer.png

So, lets first compare the freshman cornerbacks. Fitzgerald and Hinata lead the pack with 4 interceptions and 12 passes defensed with Wooter close behind with 3 interceptions and 7 passes defensed. As impressive as Fitzgerald has been playing, I’m going to knock him out of the race because he is listed as the #2 CB on the team in a pass heavy conference. If you want proof of this, just take a look at the index. The top 5 out of 6 teams in passing yards are in the Hero’s conference. So, now the top CB freshman is down to Wooter and Hinata. While Hinata does have a leg up on Wooter with one extra interception and 5 more PD’s, Wooter has 2 defensive touchdowns to Hinata’s 0. Interceptions are already hard to come by in a run heavy conference so to be able to turn those interceptions into points is very valuable.

Now to compare Wooter to the freshman linebackers. BOT283, Greening, and Ivanov standout the most to me. BOT283 has an impressive 139 tackles, 5 TFL and 4 FF, 2 sacks, and 1 INT. A huge force in the run game but not the best in the pass game. Greening has almost half BOT283’s tackles (72) but makes up for it with an impressive 11 TFL’s. Despite this, Greening is also a liability in coverage with no PD’s or interceptions. Ivanov, on the other hand, has been a standout cover LB with 9 PD’s, 2 INT, and a defensive touchdown. While the linebackers have been impressive, the awards committee should look at how Wooter has performed despite being in a run heavy conference.

Hey man at least my lb was mentioned lol