EFL News
ECFA: MONDAY WEDNESDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY EFL: TUESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY

Mack Attack June

pugsood

The Sun Gazzette continues its monthly coverage and update of Northern Virginia native and current SBA basketball player Alvin Mack, as he continues to be eligible in the EFL despite not having entertained any overtures by the league and its general managers to date. Our beat reporter Jordan Smith caught up with Mack over Memorial Day Weekend down in Houston.

Smith: Dare we ask whether you'll be joining the EFL anytime soon?
Mack: I don't have any updates for you. I'm certain I'd enjoy playing but ultimately it would deter me from my ultimate goal right now which is helping the Houston Ravens win a championship. That's where my head is at and where it's going to stay for the time being.

Smith: There are a number of multi-sport players. Why not give it a shot?
Mack: It's a time thing. It's not lack of excitement, enthusiasm, anything like that. I need to focus my time and energy on basketball. People forget that this is my first go-round with the SBA. I take this shit seriously.

Smith: Don't you think you're doing a disservice to the EFL to be in the league, but not really in the league?
Mack: I don't think I'm doing anyone or anything a disservice. I've been open and honest about my intentions, keeping my options open, but mot pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. I think that's all anyone can ask for, really. I'm certain there are fans, teams, others who don't love the decisions I've made and am making, but I have my reasons, I've shared my reasons, and that's all I can do.

Smith: Have you been practicing football at all?
Mack: Yes. I have and always will believe in the benefits of cross-training, and not for nothing, I love hockey. The Ravens and I carved out a situation with my contract where I can 'legally' practice hockey under the supervision and approval of the medical staff. It's the best of both worlds.

Smith: Do you think doing press is an obligation that athletes should be held to, given Naomi Osaka's comments prior to the French Open?
Mack: We're lucky to play sports for a living; I'm a firm believer in taking care of one's mental health but to shy away from what is literally an obligation when you join a league, I don't agree with that. We're not doing the media a favor by spending time with them. We're all dedicated to promoting the health and growth of our sports and capturing the attention of young people in an era where they have more decisions across more interests than ever before.

This is our June installment with Alvin Mack, current power forward for the Houston Ravens franchise. Come back next month for our next installment.