EFL News
ECFA: MONDAY WEDNESDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY EFL: TUESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY

Matthew Edwards and Lock Down

Allstar2

Matthew Edwards and Lock Down are extremely excited to join this young team in Trenton. They are both going to be arriving to campus in different scenarios. While Matthew was the quiet and reserved guy in high school and his brother Lock Down was the complete opposite, he was the most popular jock and loved to go to every single party. They knew that coming to campus would be a big culture shock, especially to Lock Down who stepped onto campus thinking he was still the big man on campus, which did not turn out so well when he got checked by the Junior FS DeAngelo Hollywood. Making sure Lock Down knew exactly where his place on the team was, as well as showing him that he can’t just get onto campus expecting respect, it has to be earned. Matthew on the other hand was quiet as usual during orientation so he’s just trying to let his game do any talking that would be needed. Robbie Burnett the starting QB for Trenton has already put in a lot of work with Matthew and they have been seen going to get food almost every day together at the dining halls. Even though it’s been a rough transition for the brothers they are looking forward to building with this team and are extremely excited to get to know all the guys.

• 2 weeks later...

So we just finished up week 5 in the EFCA, Matthew went to a guru early this week so he could learn the ways of getting better at skills by getting worse at other skills. By doing this he was able to become a much more receiving tight end by sacrificing his blocking abilities. This already has paid dividends since his first game with this was his best game on the season with 22 yards, he’s going to be an exciting player and can’t wait to see him perform for the rest of the season. Lock Down came out the gate with a hot start he’s currently tied for second in the league with 2 INTs on the season, as well as being tied for 4th with 5 Passes defended. To top it off he’s one of only 5 defensive players with a touchdown. As of right now I’d say he’s a top candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Lock Down’s main goals right now is to get that speed just a little higher and then start working on those hands to convert those Passes Defended into Interceptions. After that I heard he wants to spend a lot more time in the classroom not only for on the field success but to better his grades.

Well after finishing up week 9 Matthew Edwards still has yet to log his first touchdown of his collegiate career. While this is very disappointing it is not surprising, he started his career as a blocking first TE but has been transitioning into a more receiving threat. So far on the season he has logged 11 Catches and 67 yards for an average of almost 6.1 yards per catch…which is in my opinion awful. I know he still is not even at 100 TPE yet, even though he is close, but I still would like to see Matthew contribute more to the team. Lock down has slowed down in terms of being a ball hawk since week 5. From weeks 6-9 he has put up a respectable stat line of 22 Tackles and 3 passes defended. While this isn’t bad it’s down from the first 5 games where he put up 20 Tackles, 5 Passes defended, 2 Picks, and topped it off with a TD. This has definitely hurt his chances of Defensive Rookie of the Year, but I still feel confident that if he gets hot again and stays hot that it will thrust him right back into the conversation and will not be ignored.

Since the last time we talked about the brothers of Matthew Edwards and Lock Down a lot has happened, they have since cracked 100 TPE and are finally starting to tick back up in the stat categories. Over the weeks 10-13 Matthew Edwards put up 10 REC’s and 103 YDS, for an average of 2.5 catches per game and 25.75 yards per game. This is by far the best 4 week stretch of Matthew Edwards career so far. Matthew Edwards on the season has 21 catches for 170 yards and still not a single TD. Lock Down put up a boat load of stats as well, over those 4 games he put up 14 tackles, 3 passes defended, 1 forced fumble/fumble recovery, 2 interceptions, and 1 TD. Even though this was the lowest total for tackles he still without a doubt balled out and made a strong showing. On the season he now has 56 Tackles, 1 Forced Fumble/Fumble Recovery, 4 Interceptions, 11 Passes Defended, and 2 Interceptions. This puts him tied for 4th in passes defended and tied for 6th in interceptions. After all of this I’d say if he has finishes with the same stretch of games he’d be a lock for top 3 in DROTY.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...