EFL News
ECFA: MONDAY WEDNESDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY EFL: TUESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY

Question of the Week, Ending August 6th

AW13

25 minutes ago, AW13 said:

This question brought to you by @JardyB10!

Do you know what a pancake is as it regards to football statistics? If so, explain! If not, speculate!

It's a term used by the offensive lineman and their coach to describe a block that leaves a defensive player flat on his back, creating a gaping hole for a ball carrier to run through. 

• Like 2

The best way to describe it its when an offensive player that his trying to block the defensive player reach their QB or RB and the result end up with the defensive player on his back. For hockey players its like reverse hit when the player that was going for the hit end up laying down and the other player who receive the hit doesn't budge.  

• Like 2

It’s an interesting concept if you ask me. In order to generate a pancake, you’d need all purpose flour, baking powder, a dash of salt, white sugar, milk, an egg and butter. Mix them all together, add some heat while you’re out on the football field and if you’re able to somehow flip them over on a red-hot pan while multitasking with your positional duties on the footfall field - then that’s a pancake in the stat sheet. 

• Like 1

A pancake is an offensive lineman-centric stat like people above have explained, but that's always confused me. Why don't we track defensive lineman or linebacker pancakes? Only a select few can actually get a sack, and I guess technically "hurries" are a thing, but I think "Yeah, I put that 350 pound dude on his ass" would be a fun thing to track as well. Or for kickers on kick-offs, they should absolutely track pancakes too. I know I'd want to give an award for something like "Yeah, Justin Tucker put a guy down three times on kickoffs, and that's awesome."

A pancake is when you block someone so hard they fall flat on the field like a pancake. Just kidding, humans look nothing like pancakes. Anyways, in DDSPF21 all positions can record pancakes (not just RB/FB/TE/OL) so sometimes you get QBs putting guys on their backs.

Yes, a pancake is basically this: a defensive lineman running full speed at the QB and Boom! A offensive lineman hits him so hard he's on the ground grasping for air.The term "pancake" is used to correspond with the usual meaning which is a cake in the shape of being made in a pan. So basically of someone puts someone else on the ground, its kind of like the person on the ground got flattened. Almost all positions on offense can get pancakes like, FBs, HBs, TEs, etc. Pancakes are a big part of football because these can prevent sacks on the QB or players like RBs or WRs getting tackled. It's basically the offense's way of tackling the defense.

Edited by BeastTakeover
  • Like 1

I find it offensive that such a delicious food item is now associated with this sport. Disgusting!

To answer the question though, the "Pancake" is when an offensive lineman blocks a defensive player who lands on his back, creating a hole for the running back to sneak through.

Urban legend has it that is was Bill Fralic and his dominance in every game of the 1983-84 season forcing players to land on their back with his strength, that inspired the Pittsburgh Panthers to come up with a term that spread like wildfire across the world. However as early as 1966, Pancake Blocks were being tracked by the coaching staff at West Virginia.

Facts!

• Like 1

Without reading the actual answer, Bumberpuff always thought pancakes were food. He even did a rankings article on it once with his favorite type of pancakes. I believe it has to do something with pulling the opponents underwear over its head though. What else could it be ? 

I have no clue what pancake means, but in football terms and statistics I would think it could mean a tackle so brutal it left the opponent on the pitch "pancaked" to the ground

This has been a very informative thread and I can't believe this question was actually used.

Before today, I always assumed a pancake was whenever a player's dad rushed out on to the field in the middle of the game. Specifically, the dad has to be wearing an apron and a chef hat, and be holding a plate full of pancakes, and he has to be exclaiming, "Hey son! You didn't eat your breakfast this morning! I made my specialty flapjacks, here! This one is in the shape of a J, which is the letter of your first name! Anyway, good luck today!"

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:49 AM, AW13 said:

This question brought to you by @JardyB10!

Do you know what a pancake is as it regards to football statistics? If so, explain! If not, speculate!

I have absolutely no idea haha, I presume it means something to do with either the O or d Line 

A pancake is when a blocker puts a defensive player on the ground without committing a penalty. Usually reserved for oline and tight ends. Defenders who get pancaked a lot are in for a rough week of practice. 

I believe a pancake refers to a type of block where an offensive player blocks a defensive player and knocks them down. The defender falls flat on the ground so that they are flat like a pancake, which I'm guessing is where the name comes from.

• Like 1